I was thinking…

Production blog

Well, it’s over. Sadly, I cannot show you the final video just yet. I can say that I have learned a ton of stuff in the last couple of weeks and had a lot of fun creating the clip. I can also say, that I am proud of the outcome and super excited to get your feedback, once Mockingbird releases the song!

For now, I hope some stills and my conclusion are enough. Concerning the pre-production I am super happy that everything worked out so smoothly. It took some time to get my vision clear enough, but once I had a concept, the support from the band was great. It was a very good experience to meet the band on three gigs to get to know them better and to connect the final product closer with their work. My greatest weakness, the planning, did go well (for once) and although everything was planned pretty tight, it all worked out in the end.

The production itself was a lot of fun. I got very lucky landing such a good crew (thanks again to Robin and Jens) and so open actors (slash) musicians. The two main shooting days, the first in the studio, the second in Essen-Werden went pretty smooth. We managed to shoot everything I needed in time and without (too much) time pressure. I learned that the key is the right combination of planning and improvising. If you tend to much into one of those directions, things go down pretty fast. I am glad, that I was able to lead and to improvise the team in such a successful manner and value that experience very high.

While at first I thought, that I will (and will be able to) shoot all the material myself, I realised that it would be stupid to not use any stock footage. So, while many of the material I used for the double-exposure stuff is indeed my own, some is royalty free stock footage as well. Thank you, great internet!

Concerning the post-production, I probably learned the most (as I also knew the least…). I am very happy with the outcome of the double exposure clips. I combined various tutorials but needed to come up with a lot of stuff myself as well. I guess, if anyone is interested in how exactly I achieved the look, feel free to ask!

The super 8 part is the one I am not 100% satisfied with. I spend many, many (often late) hours on trying to achieve a realistic looking film look and also consulted a ton of tutorials. I do think that I have come a long way and that the effect looks pretty good, but I see that there is room for improvement – especially resolution/sharpness-wise.