The second day of shooting went by and I now have over 120GB of material to look through… yay.
This shoot was a completely different experience than the first one. Shooting on location (in an attic flat in Essen-Werden) I wanted to use as much of the natural light as possible. That’s why I ended up only using two additional daylight lamps for exposure purposes.
The way of handling the camera and the actors was new to me as well. As I tried to capture the “Super 8 feeling” I had to distance myself from the conventional way of shooting:
The experimenting I was talking about on Friday went pretty good. The magic of Adobe After Effects, mattes, layer styles and stock footage allowed me to transform some of the test footage I filmed on the 1st of May into some kick-ass Super 8 films!
Obviously, I’ve overdone it a bit, but this short reel gives a good impression of what is possible in post-production and I am definitely planning to go down that road:
This week was a week of holiday in the Netherlands and I used it to conduct some research and do some experimenting. My initial plan was to film one of my two storylines on Super 8 film material. My guiding docent was so kind to provide me with a camera, so all I needed was the films.
Well, as it turns out, that sounds easier than it is. I found some German and Dutch websites where one can buy such films and which even develop the material afterwards: KAHL Film & TV, Wittner Cinetec and Super8.nl being the biggest ones.
To make a long story short: There are various factors that lead to the conclusion that it would not be feasible to film on Super 8 after all. I will have to recreate the look in post-production.
Factor 1: A standard film roll measures 15ft / 15,25m and consists of approximately 3600 frames. That results in 3:20 mins when filming with 18fps, the frame rate typically used on Super 8. Obviously I would need multiple of those film rolls for the actual filming alone – not to speak of beforehand test-shoots (as I have never shot moving images on analog before) and the error-margin coming with analog film-making.
Factor 2: Developing analog film-material takes time, and my deadline is near. While Super8.nl, for example, has an express service to develop material in under 48hrs, that service costs three times as much as the normal time of around 30 days.
To make a rough estimation for 5 film rolls (which is super-duper optimistic, btw): KAHL Film would be the cheapest option with ca. 165€ but the problem, that development takes around 30 days – or 60 days if I make a test shooting before the actual shooting. Buying the films and using the express service of Super8.nl would cost 200€ – 250€ on top of the 165€ for the material. Sadly, my budget doesn’t allow option 2 and my deadline doesn’t allow the first one either.